Can you believe the first day of fall is only a week away? My grocery store is already stocked with pumpkin spice everything, and here at LibraryCall, we’re working on new fall-themed stories to share with you in the coming weeks. We’re also looking forward to adding some of the stories you have offered to share with your colleagues. Stay tuned!
In the meantime, enjoy these new stories that are now available in the Commons. Log in to the LibraryCall Manager to open the links.
- El Cuento del Pollo (The Story of the Chicken)-- a Spanish version of Chicken Little/Henny-Penny. When an acorn lands on a chicken’s head, he believes the sky is falling.
- Naranjas Agrias (Bitter Oranges)-- a story from Spain about a wealthy orange farmer who is never satisfied. When a mysterious man offers him an opportunity to change the weather to his liking, the farmer learns an important lesson.
- The Evil Mouse-- a French fairytale about a mouse who claims to be a fairy and orders a girl to do mischievous things. This is one of our longer stories (20 min.) It might be a good option for slightly older kids around Halloween. We licensed this title from Storynory.com.
- The Billy Goats Gruff-- A classic tale from Norway about three goats and a hungry troll. This is another Storynory recording.
- The Story of the Yellow Flowers-- as the season changes from summer to fall, unwanted weeds learn to believe in themselves. The selection is short and sweet.
Outreach Tips of the Week
Do you have a library event calendar? If so, try adding your dial-a-story phone number and scheduled stories to your calendar for more visibility.
Another idea is to post your dial-a-story flyer in places where people wait, like the laundromat or doctor’s office. If families have access to a phone, your stories will give them something meaningful to do while they wait.
If you have other outreach ideas, please share them with the list!
Madeline and the LibraryCall team